I love to go a-wandering off the beaten track,
and as I go, I love to sing, my knapsack on my back.
Val-di-ree, Val-di-rah,
Val-di-ree, Val-di-rah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha
Val-di-ree, Val-di-rah,
My knapsack on my back.

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Royal Basin hike

I started out my 2012 summer vacation with a hike with Guy into Royal Lake in Olympic national Park. Guy and I started out Sunday night by hiking a mile from the trailhead to a great campsite along the Dungeness River.

  Our campsite along the Dungeness River


 Breakfast the first morning.

On Monday morning, we started up the trail to Royal Lake. It begins fairly gently as it follows Royal Creek though the big timber, but after a couple of miles it gets steep and stays that way all the way to the lake. It was a tough day of hiking, abut 6 miles. We arrived at the lake about 3:00 and dumped our packs. The are is heavily used and the Park Service has strict rules about where you can camp. We found a good campsite and Guy took a nap while I explored the meadows around the lake.


 One of the avalanche chutes on the way up to the lake.

 Arriving at Royal Lake.

 Guy taking a break on the way up to Royal Lake

Guy arriving at Royal Lake.

A meadow with late afternoon shadows.

On Tuesday morning, I hiked up to the upper basin while Guy slept in. I hiked around a beautiful glacier-blue tarn and marveled at the peaks above me. What a beautiful alpine bowl. On the way back, a group of hikers pointed out six or eight marmots on the hill above the upper meadow.





As I looked back toward Royal Lake, I could see low clouds moving up the lower valley.


 After I got back to camp, I took a few pictures of the lake in the early morning.



 After I got back to camp, Guy had breakfast. We started out about 10:20 and got to the trailhead about 1:30. It was a great hike!


No comments:

Post a Comment