I love to go a-wandering off the beaten track,
and as I go, I love to sing, my knapsack on my back.
Val-di-ree, Val-di-rah,
Val-di-ree, Val-di-rah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha
Val-di-ree, Val-di-rah,
My knapsack on my back.

Friday, July 13, 2012

Gladys Divide

On Thursday, July 12, I left after work to get to Staircase Ranger Station at Lake Cushman. I hadn't gotten a wilderness camping permit from the Park Service, but I figured I could get one at the trailhead. I arrived there about 8 pm, and the Ranger Station was closed. There were no permit forms in the trailhead register, but I just decided to go anyway.

I hiked briskly up the broad trail to Spike Camp, moving along quickly to eat the darkness. I covered the 3.3 miles arriving just as darkness was falling, about 9:35. I was lucky to find the camp because of the darkness, but once I did I immediately made camp and hung my pack on the bear wire.

I slept under the stars because it was such a clear night, but about three in the morning it started to rain. I got up and rigged up my tarp between two handy trees and fell back asleep. It eased up, but the rain started again as I was making breakfast. I felt pretty snug under the tarp.

The skies cleared quickly and I got moving early. I packed up my camp and hung the whole pack on the bear wire. I started up the trail to Flapjack Lakes. It's a good trail but goes steadily upward and I had to take lots of short rests. I got to Flapjack lakes about 11 am, and just kept going to Gladys Divide.

The trail above the lakes is not nearly as well made, so it was slower going. When I got into the upper part of the divide, the trail disappeared under big snowfields. At one point I lost the trail and tried to find it by bushwhacking up a steep slope. I later found the trail below me. Once I got in the upper area, I just slogged through the snow.

I was rewarded with the sign saying Gladys Divide 5000 feet, and sat down for my lunch and several photos to show I made it. As I sat there, the clouds started pouring into the valley to the north of me. I started down about 1 pm. I kept a good pace even though I was tired.

I arrived at Spike camp about 2:30, took a half hour rest and then started down the trail to the trailhead. Although it was all downhill, I was tired and it seemed to take forever. By 4:30 I was back at the car. On the way out, I purchased a Park Service annual pass so I wouldn't feel like I snuck in to the park.

It's no surprise I was tired. I hiked 14.4 miles and went up 3500 feet in elevation. A good day!


Flapjack Lakes


 Gladys Divide
 Looking into the valley to the north



Proof I was there!



The Skokomish River, taken on my way out.



Friday morning, cooking breakfast.


Sweaty on the way up to Flapjack Lakes


Back at the trailhead at the end of the hike.

No comments:

Post a Comment