I love to go a-wandering off the beaten track,
and as I go, I love to sing, my knapsack on my back.
Val-di-ree, Val-di-rah,
Val-di-ree, Val-di-rah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha
Val-di-ree, Val-di-rah,
My knapsack on my back.

Thursday, July 4, 2013

Dosewallips Hike July 2-4, 2013

Taking advantage of the Fourth of July holiday, I hiked up the Dosewallips River to Anderson Pass, a total of 32 miles round trip with an elevation gain of nearly 4000 feet.

(Click on the photos to see a larger version)
Looking back down the Dosewallips watershed from Anderson Pass

I started Tuesday night after work, driving to the end of the road on Dosewallips River. This road used to go 5.5 miles further, to the Dosewallips Campground, but after the river eroded the bank and washed out the road, it's been necessary to hike the 5.5 miles.

I brought my son's mountain bike, thinking it would make the downhill section of the trip on the old road grade much faster. I ended up pushing it up the road the entire way! I briefly tried to ride it, but my left knee experienced sharp pains, so I gave that up. I humped right up the road as darkness fell, and arrived at the old campground at 9 pm, just in time to set up camp and make dinner.


After a hearty breakfast of oatmeal I stashed the bike behind a big log and started hiking. There was considerable elevation gain, and the trail just kept going up and up. It was quite fatiguing, and I rested frequently. The trail goes through some beautiful stands of huge firs that are a pleasure to walk beneath. At Diamond Meadows Camp, I took an hour long lunch break and dozed a bit.

Crossing the river above Diamond Meadows

The last section up to Honeymoon meadows was steep and rough, with awesome views of avalanche chutes coming off Mt. Anderson. I kept at it and arrived at Honeymoon Meadows Camp at 2:30 and promptly crashed under a tree. I was exhausted. After a while I got the energy to poke around a bit. I found a way to cross the river (the foot log had disappeared), and walked up to the junction with the LaCrosse Pass Trail.There was a lot of snow and I couldn't find the trail. Maybe another time.

Resting at camp

I was so tired I fell asleep about 8 pm. Woke up at 5:30 am and had breakfast. A buck deer startled me by walking into my camp while I was making coffee on my Trangia alcohol stove. Started hiking up to Anderson Pass at 6:50.

In Honeymoon Meadows I saw two bears feeding high above me. I could only get one in the photo.

The upper section of the trail was steep but spectacular. I passed an old shelter and made it to the upper meadows at Anderson Pass at 8:00. A beautiful morning in the high country.

Anderson Pass Shelter

Mt. LaCrosse

The trail coming up to Anderson Pass

By 9 I was back at Honeymoon Meadows Camp. I took a break and started down the trail. It's a lot easier hiking downhill! 


Flowers beside the trail

These strange but beautiful rhyzomes were sprouting out of the earth.

At the Dose Forks bridge. Looking Tired.

By 3 pm I was back at Dosewallips Campground. I retrieved the bicycle and started down the hill. Surprisingly, some portions of the road were uphill and I had to push the bike UP them! One section descended so steeply I had to dismount and walk the bike down. 

Just below the campground are some amazing waterfalls. The whole Dosewallips river crashes over boulders right beside the old road.


I coasted merrily down the old road, greeting hikers with a breezy wave. By 4:15 I was back at the car, quite tired and glad to guzzle a bottle of water I'd stashed there.

End of the trip self-portrait. A happy hiker!

Here's a link to a Google Map of my trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment