I love to go a-wandering off the beaten track,
and as I go, I love to sing, my knapsack on my back.
Val-di-ree, Val-di-rah,
Val-di-ree, Val-di-rah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha
Val-di-ree, Val-di-rah,
My knapsack on my back.

Friday, July 12, 2013

Lake Constance July 13, 2103

On my day off, I hiked to Lake Constance. Make that scrambled to Lake Constance. The guidebook says, "The elevation gain is insane: 3300 feet in 2 miles. To those prepared and skilled, this hike can be rewarding; to others it can be dangerous."

Notice the sign doesn't say "Trail" -- instead it says, "Route." That's because there's no way you can call this a trail. It just goes straight up the mountainside, over roots and rocks without mercy. In order to get to this sign, I had to walk 4 miles on the Dosewallips Road -- an additional 600 feet elevation. So I did about 12 miles and 4,000 vertical feet

At the start of the hike.
 
I left home at 6:15 and got to the trailhead by 7:30. I whipped out the first four miles by 9:00, arriving at the trailhead just in time to see three hikers looking up at a spotted owl.


Spotted owl
 
 
The lower part of the trail was burned over last year. Only the largest trees survived, because of their thick bark.

You call this a trail??
The trail went straight up the mountain. Mu pattern was to hike for thirty minutes and rest for ten. In the upper sections, there were several sections where it was necessary to climb up using roots for handholds.

Finally at 12:45 I was rewarded with this view of the Lake. It's a deep emerald green, just beautiful. The clouds were blowing around the cliffs above. I collapsed and sat against a tree to eat lunch.

Lake Constance

 I had Landjaeger sausage, Jarlesberg swiss cheese, Ritz crackers, and trail mix.


Just as I finished lunch, it began to rain. Rain!! I had no idea is was going to rain. I started down the mountain, slipping and sliding over the wet rocks.

I left the lake at 1:15, got down to the road at 3:00. By this time I was pretty well soaked, so I just kept walking until I got back to the car. Arrived at the car at 4:15.

 
Soaked from sweat inside and rain outside.



No comments:

Post a Comment