I love to go a-wandering off the beaten track,
and as I go, I love to sing, my knapsack on my back.
Val-di-ree, Val-di-rah,
Val-di-ree, Val-di-rah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha
Val-di-ree, Val-di-rah,
My knapsack on my back.

Friday, August 22, 2014

Cedar Lake and Gray Wolf Pass, August 20-22, 2014

Just got back from a three-day hike in Olympic National Park. About 30 miles and 4,000 feet of elevation gain.

Katy dropped me off at Deer Park at 8 am on Wednesday.

The trail goes down, down, down for 3,000 feet.

Crossing Gray Wolf River.

Hiking up the Gray Wolf.

It was 12 miles and 3,000 feet elevation gain to get to Cedar Lake the first day. This photo was taken just before I reached Cedar Lake. I was completely worn out when I got there....

but the view at Cedar Lake was worth it.

My camp at Cedar Lake. Too tired to move.

On Wednesday morning, I started up the bowl above Cedar Lake, skirting a large snowfield.

Looking back on Cedar Lake from the saddle above. One of the prettiest sites in the park.

Looking ahead to Gray Wolf Pass. I made my way down to the tarn below, then around the ridge and up the pass on the skyline.
 


The trail up to the pass.


The upper Dosewallips Valley, seen from Gray Wolf Pass.


Proof that I made it to Gray Wolf Pass. 


The alpine meadows below the pass.


Making oatmeal at my camp at Burdick creek Friday morning.


Taking it easy early in the morning, going the last eleven miles down the Dosewallips trail.


I stopped off at the Dosewallips campground.


Leaving the park.


Katy took this photo when she picked me up at the Dosewallips trailhead. I was glad to see her!!
 




No comments:

Post a Comment