I love to go a-wandering off the beaten track,
and as I go, I love to sing, my knapsack on my back.
Val-di-ree, Val-di-rah,
Val-di-ree, Val-di-rah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha
Val-di-ree, Val-di-rah,
My knapsack on my back.

Friday, July 3, 2015

Grand Valley Loop day hike, July 3, 2015

Today I hiked from Obstruction Point down into Badger Valley, to Grand Lake and Moose Lake, then back  up to Obstruction Point. The weather was clear and hot, and I brought plenty of water and sunscreen. The climb back up to Obstruction Point just about kicked my butt. 9.2 miles and 2500 feet elevation loss and gain.

I left home at 5:40 am and started hiking at the trailhead at 8:10. Not much traffic when you start that early!
Early morning shadows as I descended into Badger Valley.

This meadow in Badger Valley is just beautiful. Took a nice break here.

I made it to Grand Lake about 10:45 and took a good rest under this tree. The day was hot but there was a nice breeze off the lake.

The tiger lilies were gorgeous.

At Moose Lake I had lunch and took a good break.

Coming up out of Grand Lake is a grueling climb. The trail is very steep and unrelenting. I got cramps in my right thigh and calf and had to stop often to rest and rub the muscles. I took this selfie after I topped out above the worst part.

I asked an obliging hiker to take this photo. O the way back to the car, I met about 40 hikers, probably hiking in for the Fourth of July weekend.

Looking down into Grand Valley with Mount Constance and the Needles on the horizon.

The last mile is an easy walk along the top of the ridge with a cool breeze and views everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment