I love to go a-wandering off the beaten track,
and as I go, I love to sing, my knapsack on my back.
Val-di-ree, Val-di-rah,
Val-di-ree, Val-di-rah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha
Val-di-ree, Val-di-rah,
My knapsack on my back.

Monday, August 3, 2015

Sunny day hike to Royal Lake August 3, 2015

As a reward for a successful Barn Sale at St. Antony's last Friday and Saturday, Guy and I did a day hike to Royal Lake. It was a pretty ambitious hike - 15 miles and 3,000 feet elevation gain - but it turned out well. We were pretty tired by the end of the day.

Avalanche chute on Royal Creek

The weather was perfect - sunny and mild. It was warm while we were hiking on the way up, but in the afternoon we had a nice breeze as we hiked downhill.

 Crossing Royal Creek

We left the house about 6:30 am and got to the trailhead by 8:15. We started hiking at 8:30 and got to Royal Lake at 2:00. Guy rested at the lake while I hiked into the upper meadow. I couldn't quite make it to the upper tarn because of time constraints.

 The upper meadow. Royal Lake is surrounded by rocky peaks. It's an inspirational place, especially for a day hike.

Royal Lake 

We started down at 3:00. A cool breeze was in our face as we trudged back to the car. We were beat.

Hiking in the afternoon shadows. 

Despite the drought, there's still a good flow in the Dungeness River. 

We got back to the trailhead at 6:30 and were home for Katy's shepherd's pie at 8:30. Another good day in Olympic National Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment