I love to go a-wandering off the beaten track,
and as I go, I love to sing, my knapsack on my back.
Val-di-ree, Val-di-rah,
Val-di-ree, Val-di-rah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha
Val-di-ree, Val-di-rah,
My knapsack on my back.

Monday, August 3, 2020

Sundown Pass from South Fork Skokomish River, August 3, 2020

South Fork Skokomish River to Sundown Pass and Sundown Lake
14.4 miles and 3,100 feet elevation gain

On Sunday, August 2, I drove up the South Fork Skokomish River to the upper trailhead. The lower part of the valley is quite lovely with small farms beneath the scraggly timbered hillsides. There were a lot of local people swimming and picnicking on the Skokomish River gravel bars. Arrived at the trailhead at 6:00 pm. Explored a little, heated up some canned beef stew and started hiking at 6:30.

I traveled light, taking only my red day pack, a sleeping bag, tarp, and sleeping pad. No stove or cooking gear. The first part of the trail is an old road so it’s easy going. Then the trail crosses the river on a huge cedar tree that blew down in just the right place for a foot log. 

Foot log across the Skokomish River

The trail parallels the river, gaining elevation gradually as it winds through big firs. It was a quite pleasant walk in the late evening. Arrived at the next river crossing at 7:40 and made camp after crossing the river on the rocks. The mosquitoes dive-bombed me until after sunset when it began it cool down.
 
My camp along the Skokomish River
 
Had cold cereal for breakfast the next morning and started up the trail at 6:40 am. I left my sleeping bag, pad, and tarp at the campsite. It was cloudy the whole day but there was no rain. The first part of the trail was well made and maintained, but after crossing into the Park, the the trail deteriorated into a rough path. Near the pass, it was steep and the footing was poor. 
 
The lower trail

At the pass

Made it to Sundown Pass at 10:20 and to Sundown Lake at 10:40. I was here two weeks ago but I couldn’t see the lake for the fog that day. Today I had a good view of the lake and the basin. Rested briefly and began the return trip.
 
Harebells and other flowers just below the pass.

Sundown Lake
 
Went back over Sundown Pass and started down the other side. Had lunch at a campsite near one of the meadows and kept going. 
 

    
Looking down the Skokomish valley


A tarn just below the pass
 
Picked up my gear where I left it at the campsite by the river and hiked the last two miles out. My feet were sore from all the pounding, but I made it to the car by 3:40 pm, just as the clouds began to break and let the sun through a bit. Drove home without stopping so I could make it for supper.


No comments:

Post a Comment