I love to go a-wandering off the beaten track,
and as I go, I love to sing, my knapsack on my back.
Val-di-ree, Val-di-rah,
Val-di-ree, Val-di-rah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha
Val-di-ree, Val-di-rah,
My knapsack on my back.

Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Little Divide Hike July 28, 2020

From the Sol Duc Hot Springs trailhead to Mink Lake, up to Little Divide, along the divide to Deer Lake, down to Sol Duc Falls, the along Lovers Lane trail to the car at the trailhead. 14.0 miles, 2,400 feet elevation gain.

I left work about 4:00 on Monday afternoon and drove to Sol Duc. After stopping at Fairholme campground and seeing it was full, I drove to Sol Duc Hot Springs and looked for a place to sleep that would be out of the way of the park rangers. I walked down Lovers Lane trail about five minutes and found a perfect place near the river, just off the trail. Returned to the car, drove to the Sol Duc Falls trailhead where I sat at a picnic table and had dinner. Lots of people come out from the trail. About 8:30 I drove back to the Hot Springs, parked, and took my sleeping bag and big foam mattress to my camping spot. Slept well. Woke up in the night to see the stars peeking through the vine maple leaves just above me.

Got up, walked back to the car and set up the Coleman stove behind the car and made breakfast. Coffee and granola. Started up the trail at 7:15 am. It felt pretty good to go up the switchbacks in the cool air. Made it to Mink Lake at 9:00. Stopped at the shelter, met to talkative young women who were planning to hike up to Little Divide, down to Deer Lake, and up to Lunch Lake. Hope they got started soon after I left. That's a stiff hike.

Mink Lake
Mink Lake

Kept on going up to the divide. The trail goes up but not too steeply and I still felt fairly fresh. Made it to the junction at 10:25. Started in an easterly direction along the divide between the Sol Doc valley and the Bogachiel watershed. Really a lovely trail along the ridgetop or traversing slightly below the ridge. There was a cool breeze blowing from the Bogachiel valley that kept the mosquitoes off. The tread of the trail was soft and easy. Not many people hike this trail.

Little Divide trail

At 12:00 I arrived at the place where the trail drops over the ridge and starts down. Stopped for a leisurely 30-minute lunch with the breeze coming through the gap. Took my boots off, laid down in the sun, and rested.

At lunch

Started off again, down to Deer Lake. Arrived at 1:15. Lots of people, including families. I could hear their voices across the lake.

Deer Lake

Started down the trail below the lake. It's a terrible trail, quite eroded and full of rocks and boulders.


By this time my feet were starting to hurt. My boots are wonderfully supportive but after eight miles my feet hurt anyway. Passed lots of people coming up to Deer Lake, including a group of eight young women. I had my mask around my ears and tucked under my chin. When I saw anyone approaching, I pulled it up until they passed. A lot of people would guiltily raise their mask when they saw me or turn away from me and cover their mouth and nose.

Mask at the ready


Sol Duc Falls

Got to the Lovers Lane trail junction at 3:15, took a break to rest my feet. Made a quick detour to photograph the Sol Duc falls, then started on the Lovers Lane trail back to the car. It was pretty flat, easy going, but I was tired and my feet were in pain. Slogged along trying to appreciate the towering douglas fir trees and tall ferns. Made it back to the car at 4:15, took off my boots and rubbed my poor feet before putting on softer shoes.

Drove home, stopping at the Starbucks drive-through in Sequim for coffee and a cheese danish. Boy, was it good.


No comments:

Post a Comment