I love to go a-wandering off the beaten track,
and as I go, I love to sing, my knapsack on my back.
Val-di-ree, Val-di-rah,
Val-di-ree, Val-di-rah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha
Val-di-ree, Val-di-rah,
My knapsack on my back.

Friday, July 3, 2020

Marmot Pass July 3, 2020

Marmot Pass, July 3, 2020
10.6 miles and 3,500 feet elevation gain

Left home about 6:15 and arrived at the trailhead at 7:45. It was already crowded with people but I started right up the trail on a cool, cloudy morning. I like this trail because the tread is good the whole way and it has a steady grade leading you upward. For this hike I put new arch supports under the new insoles I bought for last week’s hike, and they seemed to help a lot. I think they spread out the weight so that my whole foot is supported.
 
Started up the trail that parallels the river, enjoying the cool, overcast morning. Several people passd me, but I passed them later on. 
 
Big Quilcene River near the lower part of the trail


Hiking up the lower trail in the fog.
 
Passed Shelter Rock Camp and the trail got steeper. Came to the avalanche paths with some gorgeous summer flowers.
 
Looking up an avalanche chute.

The clouds shrouded the trail.
 
I met a couple coming down the trail, who said, "You're almost there," and I thought, “Yeah, right,” but a few minutes later I came to Camp Mystery. I was surprised how fast I made it. There were quite a few people camping there, so I kept going into the upper switchbacks. Pretty familiar territory since I’ve been here several times before. I think this is my third time up this trail.
 
At Marmot Pass

Arrived at the Pas at 11:45 and found a place just beyond the summit to have lunch. The clouds had lifted enough for me to look out across the Dungeness River valley. Lovely view, and it reminded me of the day I hiked the Dungeness to Silver Creek loop a few years ago. Had a good hiker’s lunch — salami, cheese, crackers, raising, gorp, chocolate.
 
A hiker's lunch

View to the west during lunch break.


 
Had a nice break, then I started down. Passed lots of people coming up to the pass. When I met anyone, I raised my bandanna over my mouth and nose. About half the people were wearing masks. Some got out of the trail for me or turned their head away as I passed.

Got to the trailhead about 3 and started home. Stopped at Quilcene for a decaf coffee and a granola bar.

I felt good on this hike. It seems like I’m getting in shape and I’m able to hike longer and faster than before. And I was grateful that my feet didn’t suffer as much today.

No comments:

Post a Comment