I love to go a-wandering off the beaten track,
and as I go, I love to sing, my knapsack on my back.
Val-di-ree, Val-di-rah,
Val-di-ree, Val-di-rah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha
Val-di-ree, Val-di-rah,
My knapsack on my back.

Friday, June 26, 2020

Boulder Shelter June 26, 2020

Hike to Boulder Shelter
June 26, 2020
12 miles, 2,750 feet elevation gain

Guy and I got up early and drove up the Dungeness River to the trailhead, arriving about 8:00. It was a beautiful day, nice and cool in the morning underneath the big trees. 
 


We hiked steadily up to Camp Handy, where we stopped for a break and some trail mix. We explored the campsites a little bit. Two women and their four kids were camped along the river, singing in and playing games. Kind of sweet.

We decided to go a little further, and continued up the trail as it gains elevation. Stopped at noon for lunch. Afterwards I said to Guy, “I think we’re only about twenty or thirty minutes from Boulder Shelter. Want to try to reach it?” He decided to rest, and I took off for the shelter. It actually took me more like 33 minutes to get there, but I made it. It felt good to push myself and see if I could keep up a good pace on the trail. 
Meadow at Boulder Shelter

Looking out at the upper Dungeness River valley
 
I returned to Guy who was patiently waiting for me and we started back to the car. There was a nice breeze in our faces as we hiked down the valley. Go back about 4:00, home by dinner.

For this hike I bought new insoles for my boots to replace the worn Dr. Scholl’s insoles. The new ones seemed quite a bit better, with more padding under my feet. My feet were tired, but much better than last week’s hike up Mt. Townsend.

No comments:

Post a Comment