I love to go a-wandering off the beaten track,
and as I go, I love to sing, my knapsack on my back.
Val-di-ree, Val-di-rah,
Val-di-ree, Val-di-rah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha
Val-di-ree, Val-di-rah,
My knapsack on my back.

Friday, August 12, 2022

From the shores of Lake Crescent to the top of Happy Lake Ridge

On an overnight hike, I hiked to the top of Happy Lake Ridge and connected up with the Happy Lake trail that I hiked in 2020. 18.8 miles and 4,400 feet of elevation gain.

Left home at 11:00 am on Wednesday and drove to the Storm King Ranger Station parking lot. Started hiking up the Barnes Creek trail at 1:45. There are tons of people on the first half mile, going to Marymere Falls, but after I left the crowds behind, I didn't see a soul.

The skies were gray and the afternoon seemed dull and lifeless, but the weather forecast was for sunny skies the next day. I was mindful of my weak left ankle and my tender left big toe, so I walked carefully up the steep stretches of the trail. Since I had plenty of time, I walked at a moderate pace and my toe and ankle gave me no problems at all.

Dismal Draw camp

I set up camp and made a fire to make it a little more cheerful. I read the essay Nature from a book of essays by Ralph Waldo Emerson. Not sure I understood most of it. Had dinner (freeze dried lasagna, not very good) and kept reading. Got in my sleeping bag at 8:30 and fell asleep soon after.

Woke up at 5:45, had coffee and granola for breakfast and started hiking at 7:15. It was a cool, clear morning and it was pleasant to hike in the fresh morning air. 

Looking across to Storm King Mountain in the morning mist

The trail zigzags up an Eastern-facing slope that has a stand of mature hemlock and Doug fir. Nice and open with hardly any underbrush.


I counted 41 switchbacks as I slowly made my way up the slope. The trail is in great shape, with a smooth tread and a steady grade. What a pleasure to hike. I took a 15 minute break every hour, and I was pleased to see that my legs held up well. My toe and my ankle also did fine. On the advice of my niece, Annie Jo, I used two hiking poles this trip, and I think they helped me walk in a more upright and balanced way, which helped my feet.

I arrived at the Aurora Ridge trail junction at 10:45 and was swarmed with clouds of mosquitoes. I had planned to take a nice long break at this point, but instead I put on my headnet and long sleeved shirt and kept on going.

 The top of the ridge

The last 1.8 miles along the ridgetop was tougher than I expected, but I arrived at the junction with the Happy Lake Ridge trail just before noon. I was last at this junction in 2020, when I hiked the Happy Lake Ridge loop. 

Proof that I made it to the top

Turned around and started down. Found a good place for lunch and a brief rest, then continued on. My legs felt good so I just kept going down the switchbacks. It was lovely in the afternoon air, ambling down the trail.
 
Going down through the big timber

Got back to camp at 3:15 and took a good long rest, including a short nap. I was tired, but I wanted to get home and sleep in my own bed, so at 4:00 I shouldered my pack and started back to the car. The last four miles were weary ones with many short breaks, but I got back to the car at 6:00 and called Katy.

Stopped at a hamburger drive-through joint in Port Angeles and got a double cheeseburger. It tasted great! Home by 8:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment