I love to go a-wandering off the beaten track,
and as I go, I love to sing, my knapsack on my back.
Val-di-ree, Val-di-rah,
Val-di-ree, Val-di-rah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha
Val-di-ree, Val-di-rah,
My knapsack on my back.

Thursday, July 20, 2023

Marmot Pass hike July 20, 2023

Finally got up to the mountains after a month of other activities (plein air painting in the San Juan Islands and a watercolor workshop with artist Eric Wiegardt). Guy and I hiked to Marmot Pass on a warm, sunny day. 11.2 miles and 3,600 feet elevation gain.

We left at 6:45 am and got to the trailhead in time to start hiking at 8:35. It was pleasantly cool on the lower trail, although I felt a bit sluggish. We got to Shelter Rock camp around ten, then started up the incline on the south slope. 

Hiking the lower trail in the morning shadows

 By the time we got to the avalanche paths, it was getting hot and we were both getting tired. We took lots of short breaks to catch our breath.

Flowers in the avalanche paths

We made it to Camp Mystery about 12:00 and collapsed under some trees near the creek. We had a good lunch and a short nap.
Guy at lunch

About 12:45 we started up the trail, both of us feeling quite a bit better. Guy really got a second wind. We made it to the pass at 2:05 and took a few photos. After a short break, we started down. 

At the pass

Guy exploring Marmot Pass

Me at the pass

Took it pretty easy on the way down, kept the pace slow and took 15 minute breaks every hour. Got back to the car at 5:05 and started home. Katy had turkey burgers and potato salad for dinner. Delicious!

I was careful not to strain my Achilles tendon and my left ankle. I did pretty good until we started down. The pounding on the way down was hard on my left big toe and ankle, but I got back to the car without any major problems. I was discouraged about how fatigued I was around noon. Last year I made it to the pass in an hour less than this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment