I love to go a-wandering off the beaten track,
and as I go, I love to sing, my knapsack on my back.
Val-di-ree, Val-di-rah,
Val-di-ree, Val-di-rah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha
Val-di-ree, Val-di-rah,
My knapsack on my back.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Obstruction Peak hike with Ray Flagg

Ray Flagg picked me up at 6:00 AM, when it was still dark. We drove through Port Angeles, up the Hurricane Ridge road, and turned down the Obstruction Peak road, a narrow dirt road that has steeeeeep sides in some places. By 8:25 we were at the trailhead at Obstruction Peak.



At the trailhead


We hiked about two miles until we came to a place where the trail drops into Badger Valley. We stopped for awhile and took in the view. Several groups of hikers passed us, including a very cheerful group of eight women and one man.







 The trail meanders along the top of the ridge, with stupendous views everywhere. We could see Mount Olympus off to the Southwest, Mount Deception to the Southeast, and the Elwha and Lillian drainages lay at our feet. The weather was perfect -- sunny and cool. You couldn't ask for a better day.


Looking down into Badger Valley

 After awhile we started back, arriving at the trailhead about 2:30. On the way back, I took a few photos of flowers. After I got home, about 4:30, I realized I got quite a sunburn on my face.





Google Map of Obstruction Peak trailhead:

View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment