I love to go a-wandering off the beaten track,
and as I go, I love to sing, my knapsack on my back.
Val-di-ree, Val-di-rah,
Val-di-ree, Val-di-rah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha
Val-di-ree, Val-di-rah,
My knapsack on my back.

Friday, September 28, 2012

Mt. Baldy, September 28, 2012


Today I hiked up Mt. Baldy in Olympic National Park. I left home about 6:45 and got to the trailhead at 8:45, started hiking at 8:50. The trail goes straight up a ridge and it's brutally steep. The only good thing is there's no erosion, and the trail is in good shape.


 I sweated up the lower portion of the trail. It's so steep in places I climbed for a minute and took a half a minute rest.



 The leaves are turning autumn colors in places.


As I got higher I could see across the valleys. The alpine grass is turning a russet color.


It's lovely to be up in the alpine. It's completely open and the ridges seem to stretch away forever.



I got to the top just after noon, about 3 hours and fifteen minutes. Not bad considering it was 3,700 feet of elevation gain. From the summit, I could see Mt. Olympus in the distance.


I ate a hiker's lunch: salami, cheese, crackers, and M&Ms.


This view is looking up Royal Creek, where Guy and I hiked last month.


Just below the summit. I put my vest on because the breeze was chilly.


Alpine plants.


 I got back to the trailhead at 2:50, about two hours after leaving the summit. My legs were sore from the steep descent, and the bottom of my right foot was bruised a bit. Got home by 5:15 and took a shower. Great hike!

No comments:

Post a Comment