I love to go a-wandering off the beaten track,
and as I go, I love to sing, my knapsack on my back.
Val-di-ree, Val-di-rah,
Val-di-ree, Val-di-rah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha
Val-di-ree, Val-di-rah,
My knapsack on my back.

Friday, July 15, 2016

Mt. Jupiter hike in the clouds

I tried again to hike Mt. Jupiter, and this time I was successful, although the panoramic views from the summit promised by the guidebook were obscured by clouds. Still, it was an enjoyable hike. 14.4 miles and 3,700 feet elevation gain. I felt pretty good for such an ambitious hike.

I left the house at 5:45 am and started hiking at 7:10 am. There were clouds below me at the trailhead, but it was mostly clear above me.  Here's the view  to the East.


The trail  follows the ridgetop, sometimes on one side and sometimes on the other. There are portions where you lose altitude and then regain it. Most of the tread is in good shape for the first half, and a pleasure to walk on. There were rhododendrons blooming in the upper areas.

At one point you can look down on the Duckabush valley. On the other side, you can see the meadowsbelow in the Dosewallips valley.

The upper trail is carved out of the rock in places.

I arrived on the summit at 12:05, about 5 hours from the start. All I could see was clouds and more clouds. 

I started down at 12:35, arriving at the trailhead at 3:35, a three hour descent. Met two couples, separately, coming up the trail. Guy cooked grilled chicken sausages and corn on the cob for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment