I love to go a-wandering off the beaten track,
and as I go, I love to sing, my knapsack on my back.
Val-di-ree, Val-di-rah,
Val-di-ree, Val-di-rah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha
Val-di-ree, Val-di-rah,
My knapsack on my back.

Friday, July 1, 2016

Tunnel Creek Hike July 1, 2016

Enjoyed a nice day hike up Tunnel Creek near Quilcene. Fairly easy hike: 8.4 miles, 2,450 feet elevation gain.

Started hiking at 8:50 am under cloudy skies. The trail is in good shape and goes steadily upward. I got winded and began to think, "I'm out of shape!" But as the hike went on, I felt stronger.

Trailhead

Tunnel Creek is a pretty stream.

There's some big timber along the trail.


By 10:10 I arrived at the shelter, 2.7 miles. It's a lovely piece of engineering and in good shape.

It's made completely from native timbers cut to fit.

After a twenty-minute break, I crossed the creek on this footbridge. 


I started up the switchbacks, passing Harrison Lake on the way.

I arrived at the top of the ridge just before noon and sat for my lunch while I looked out at Mt. Constance, just across the valley and in full view of the massive rock face.

The mosquitoes were aggressive, so I had a quick lunch and started down. Got to the car at 2 pm, home by 3:30. A good hike!

No comments:

Post a Comment